This recipe has the potential to be really great and if you like paprika in your mac and cheese - this is great! The next batch I will make without paprika! I also think it needed a little more salt and possibly garlic (I love garlic in almost everything). The texture is creamy I just don't like the paprika. I also decided to not bake it with the breadcrumbs (mostly because I did not have any gluten free breadcrumbs).
Good news - with a few tweeks, it will be a new favorite.
Smokey Three-Cheese Mac' and Cheese
Serving Size: 2 cups
Weight Watchers: 10 pp+ per serving
Source: Veg Power! - Weight Watchers cookbook
Course: Gluten Free Main Couse
- 1 pound brown rice pasta original recipe called for whole wheat
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons gluten free flour blend original called for whole wheat flour
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella shredded (I used regualar mozzarella)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup gluen free bread crumbs oringinal recipe called for panko bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package direcions, omitting salt if desired.
- Preheat broiler. Spray 4 quart flameproof casserole dish with nonstick spray (olive oil spray) - I did not do because I was making just plain mac and cheese
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk and flour in large saucepan until smooth. Set over medium high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 minutes, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, paprika and salt. Whisk unil smooth.
- Stir in pasta.
- Eat or bake - We ate it at this point - this is a Kim addition to the recipe
- Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle evenly with crumbs; spray crumbs lightly with nonstick cooking spray (olive oil spray).
- Broil until crumbs are lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.