When I made the buns - I used a large mouth mason jar to make the shape. I think I may have rolled it out too thin. It actually made 13 buns. Nextime I will probably make square buns.
Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
Yeilds: 18 buns (9 if halved)
Serving size: 1 bun
Weight Watchers: 4 pp+
- 5 cups (+) whole wheat flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (3/4 cup)
- 2 pkgs regular or active dry yeast (4 1/2 t.) (1 pkg or 21/4 t.)
- 2 T. honey (1 T)
- 1/4 cup water (1/8 cup)
- 1/2 cup milk (1/4 c)
- 2 T. butter (1 T)
- 2 t. sea salt (1 t)
I made these in my breadmachine on the dough cycle. Here are the directions if making by hand.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 3 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups warm water. Set aside to let rest for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together 1/4 cup water, yeast and honey. Allow this to sit for at least 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Melt butter, milk and salt in a small saucepan on the stove. Do not allow the mixture to get above 120 degrees.
- Pour yeast mixture and milk mixture into flour mixture. Add remaining two cups of flour (more if needed).
- Knead for about 10 minutes until dough begins to look “shiny”.
- Put dough back into the bowl, cover and let rise for at least an hour…or until it has doubled.
- Pull dough onto a clean countertop and knead for a couple of minutes to get any air bubbles out.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut circles from the dough with a large drinking glass or wide mouth jar.
- Place circles on in a well buttered baking dish about an inch apart.
- Allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
From: Heavenly Homemakers