Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Brownies
Yield: 6 small brownie squares
Serving size: 1 brownie
Weight Watchers: 3 pp+ if using oil, 2 pp+ if using applesauce to replace oil
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, you will have much better results if you use “dark” cocoa (Hershey’s makes some)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9X9 inch square glass baking dish with oil or butter.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl including the flour, cocoa and baking powder and set aside.
- In a small pot on the stove melt the coconut oil together with the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Once the coconut oil is melted whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the egg and keep whisking until it’s mixed together thoroughly. If using nuts fold them into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the glass baking dish and bake for 16 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Eat or store in an air-tight container at room temperature – enjoy!
From: 100 Days of Real Food