This is the first of many recipes that were in the cookbook made for me by my students and parents. I could not have asked for a better teacher appreciation gift. This has now become a family favorite.
Chocolate Cinnamon Energy Bar
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats (5)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar (1 1/3) - I used extra honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (1)
- 1 cup all purpose four (2) - I used white whole wheat
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (1/2)
- ½ cup mini chocolate morsels (1) I used Chocolate chip/ chunk recipe
- ½ teaspoon salt (1)
- ½ cup honey (1)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (1) I used olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract (1T)
- ¼ cup raisins (1/2) optional
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (1/2) optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients: oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, baking soda, chocolate morsels and salt.
- Add honey, oil, and vanilla extract, plus any optional nuts and raisins.
- Mix well and spoon into baking pan.
- Place a piece of wax paper over the top of the mixture.
- Using a rolling pin, press mixture firmly into the pan until evenly distributed and smooth on top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until bars are slightly darker at the edges than the center.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut with a pizza cutter into 3-by-1-inch bars while still warm.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze.